Airlines That Allow Multiple Dogs: Options for Flying with Two Dogs In-Cabin
Chances are, if you’re reading this, you have two small dogs that you want to bring with you in an airline cabin. We’ve written about our experience flying with multiple dogs, and the number one question people ask is: what airline allows that? Luckily, there are a few airlines that allow passengers to fly with multiple dogs. Here’s the skinny on airlines and which will allow you to fly with more than one dog.
Bonus: If you need additional tips for traveling with two dogs on an airplane, click here.
Before we dive in…
Here are a few things to keep in mind when flying with two dogs:
- Airlines differ in their policies, and that includes their regulations on flying with multiple pets. Be sure to read through each policy to see which ones work for you.
- If you’re flying with multiple pets, notify the airline regarding your pets as soon as possible – many airlines restrict the number of pets in cabin, and you want to ensure that your pets grab a spot.
- Don’t worry if your dogs are different sizes – all is not lost! Some airlines will allow you to fly with two dogs in separate carriers.
Aegean Airlines Pet Policy
Each passenger is allowed to travel with only one (1) pet in cabin, carried within a special box/container. The maximum permitted weight for a pet, combined with its container, is eight (8) kilos (about 17.6 pounds).
If you wish to travel with more pets, they must be of the same species, familiar with each other and carried within the same special box/container. They should also not exceed the maximum weight of eight (8) kilos (including their container).
The container must not exceed 55cm length x 40cm width x 23cm height. For DH8-100, DH8-400 and ATR aircraft, the following maximum dimensions apply: 40cm length x 25cm width x 25cm height.
Alaska Air Pet Policy
Important notes for travel with your pet in the cabin:
- The pet carrier counts toward your carry-on bag allotment. You may bring either a pet carrier and a personal item, or a pet carrier and a standard size carry-on bag. You may not board the aircraft with a pet carrier, a standard size carry-on, and a personal item.
- A customer may travel with a maximum of 2 pet carriers in the main cabin, only when the adjacent seat is purchased by the same customer.
- Up to 2 pets of the same species and similar size may travel in the same carrier, provided no body parts protrude from the carrier and the animals are not in distress.
Carriers in cabin
The USDA and IATA have specific requirements.
Pets must be small enough to fit and stay comfortably in a kennel under the seat.
The following carrier sizes are accepted for travel in the cabin:
|Type||Kennel size||Dimensions (length x width x height)|
|Hard-sided||50||17″ x 11″ x 7.5″|
|Soft-sided||50||17″ x 11″ x 9.5″|
American Airlines Pet Policy
If you travel with two of your pets in the same kennel, they must be:
- The same species (2 cats or 2 dogs).
- A similar size and weigh less than 20 lbs. / 9.07 kgs. each.
- Between 8 weeks and 6 months old.
Kennel Guidelines for Carry-on Pets
We assume no liability for the health or well-being of carry-on pets. These rules are enforced:
- Pets must be able to stand and sit erect, turn around normally and lie down in a natural position in their kennel (without touching any side or the top of the container).
- Non-collapsible kennels can’t exceed the underseat dimensions of any aircraft included in your journey. Please contact reservations to verify maximum dimensions.
- Soft-sided collapsible kennels can be slightly larger but still need to fit under the seat without having to excessively collapse the kennel, must be secure, padded, made of water-repellant material and have nylon mesh ventilation on two or more sides.
Austrian Air Pet Policy
- You can carry up to two healthy pets in an approved carrying container.
- Your pet must be at last twelve weeks old (16 weeks if flying to or from the United States). Young animals must be weaned from their mother.
Small pets in the cabin
The carrying container must:
- Be soft, bite-proof and leak-proof.
- Insulated against odours.
- Be adequately ventilated, even when closed.
- Be large enough to accommodate the pet in a natural position.
The total weight of the pet and the carrying container must not exceed 8 kg, a maximum size of 118 cm (55 x 40 x 23 cm) so that it can be stowed easily under the seat in front of you.
Brussels Airlines Pet Policy
- Cats (max. 8kg/18 lbs, including the pet bag)
- Dogs (max. 8kg/18 lbs, including the pet bag)
* Maximum 4 pet containers per aircraft are allowed.
The bag/container must be:
- Leak- and smell-proof.
- Soft-sided, closed bag, to be stowed completely under the seat in front of you.
- Within the size of 118cm / 45 inch (max. total dimensions).
- To be provided by you (can be bought at Brussels Airport for the price of €45).
- Max. 1 bag per passenger is allowed.
- 2 adult pets may travel in the same bag provided they are comfortable with each other (total max. weight of 8kg / 18lbs, including the bag).
- 3 small pets (max. 6 months old) may travel in the same bag, only when from the same litter (total max. weight of 8kg / 18lbs, including the bag).
Delta Pet Policy
To ensure your pet has a safe, healthy and happy flight, please review the following requirements when flying with a small pet as a carry-on:
- Your pet must be at least 10 weeks old for domestic travel.
- Your pet must be 16 weeks old if traveling to the U.S. from another country and must be at least 15 weeks old when traveling to the European Union.
- One pet is permitted per kennel with the following exceptions:
- One female cat/dog may travel with her un-weaned litter if the litter is between 10 weeks to 6 months of age.
- No limit on the number of animals in the litter.
- 2 pets of the same breed and size between the age of 10 weeks and 6 months may be allowed to travel in 1 kennel as long as they are small enough to fit into a single kennel and are compatible – they will be charged as 1 pet.
Carry-On Kennel Requirements
Your pet must be able to fit in a small, ventilated pet carrier that fits under the seat in front of you and adhere to the following requirements:
- Be small enough to fit comfortably in a kennel without touching or protruding from the sides of the kennel and have the ability to move around.
- The kennel must fit under the seat directly in front of you.
- The soft- or hard-sided kennels must be leak-proof and have ventilation openings on three sides (four sides for international travel).
- Maximum carry-on kennel dimensions are determined by your flight as the space under seats vary by aircraft, we recommend a soft-sided kennel with maximum dimensions of 18” x 11” x 11” since this fits most aircraft types.
- Maximum carry-on kennel dimensions are determined by your flight – please check your flight’s aircraft dimensions to ensure your kennel will fit.
- We recommend having your pet’s kennel dimensions prior to contacting us.
Iberia Pet Policy
Some pets can travel in the cabin with you, if you obtain authorization from the Booking Office and if the pet meets these conditions:
- 8 kg. maximum weight including cage or pet pack.
- Maximum container measurements are 45 cm long, 35 cm wide and 25 cm height and the sum of the three dimensions cannot exceed 105 cm.
- The cage or pet pack should be strong, ventilated, with a waterproof floor and it should be safe.
- You can carry several animals of the same species in the same container if they are small and light enough.
jetBlue Pet Policy
- Your pet and approved pet carrier count as one personal item and must fit under the seat in front of you. Your pet carrier cannot exceed 17″L x 12.5″W x 8.5″H and the combined weight of your pet and the carrier must not exceed 20 pounds.
- Traveling on a Blue Basic fare? Carry-on bags are not permitted, but you may bring a personal item in addition to the pet carrier.
- Only one pet is allowed per carrier, and they must be able to turn around comfortably when it’s closed.
- All pets must remain inside the pet carrier while at the airport and on the plane.
How to Book Your Pet
- A maximum of two pets per traveler is allowed, each in their own carrier. In order to bring a second pet, a second seat and pet fee must be paid.
Lufthansa Pet Policy
Small dogs and cats, who weigh a maximum of 8 kg including a suitable transport container, may be taken with you into the passenger cabin.
Please note: each passenger is allowed to take a maximum of two animals with them (in an approved transport container). Animals can be transported either in the cabin and/or in the cargo hold:
- No more than two animals (dog or cat) in the cabin (in an approved transport container) or no more than two animals in the cargo hold (in one or two approved transport containers).
- One animal (dog or cat) in the cabin (in an approved transport container) and one animal in the cargo hold (in an approved transport container).
Southwest Pet Policy
Acceptable Pet Carriers:
- The Southwest Airlines Pet Carrier (17” long x 9.5” high x 10” wide).
- Other pet carriers with maximum dimensions of 18.5” long x 8.5” high x 13.5” wide.
- Soft-sided and hard-sided carriers specifically designed as pet carriers are acceptable.
- The carriers must be leak-proof and well ventilated.
- The pet carrier must be small enough to fit under the seat in front of the customer and be stowed in accordance with Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) regulations.
Pet Carrier Requirements:
- Southwest Airlines allows only one pet carrier per ticketed passenger.
- The carrier may contain two (2) cats or dogs and must be of the same species per carrier.
- The cat or dog must be completely inside the pet carrier and be able to stand up and move around the carrier with ease.
Pet Travel Restrictions
- A pet may not share a carrier with a trained service animal or an emotional support animal.
Spirit Pet Policy
Important guidelines when bringing your pet:
- A maximum of 2 pets per container is permitted, but only one container per guest is allowed.
- Animals must be able to stand upright and move about comfortably in the container.
- Animals must remain in the carrier for the duration of the flight.
- The pet should be at least eight (8) weeks old and fully weaned.
- The combined weight of the pet and carrier may not exceed 40 pounds (18.14 kg).
Pet Carrier Guidelines
The container must be inspected and approved by Spirit and able to fit underneath the seat in front of the guest traveling with the animal. Maximum container size is 18″x14″x9″ (45.72cm x 35.56 cm x 22.86cm) in over all dimensions (L x W x H).
Swiss Airlines Pet Policy
Please note: each passenger is permitted to take a maximum of two animals with him/her (in an approved transport container).
Transport can be in the cabin and/or in the hold:
- We have a limited number of pets per flight in the cabin and in checked baggage.
- A maximum of two animals (dog or cat) for one passenger.
- One animal (dog or cat) in the cabin and one animal in the hold.
- A maximum of two animals in the hold (in one or two approved transport containers).
- Dogs and cats are only permitted to travel from the age of 12 weeks and above.
The following animals can travel in the cabin
- Dogs and cats weighing up to 8 kg (weight including transport container).
- You must transport your animal in a soft container that is clean, escape-proof, and scratch-proof. The maximum container size is 118 cm (55 x 40 x 23 cm).
- There must be enough space in it for the animal, which must remain fully in the transport container for the entire flight. It is not allowed to run around in the cabin.
- The transport container must be large enough for the animal to stand in its natural position, turn around and lie down.
Tap Portugal Pet Policy
Transportation of pets in the cabin
Only dogs and cats in their own soft container with a total weight (animal/animals + container) of up to 8kg / 17lb can be carried in the cabin. The container should be stored under the seat, which is 40x33x17cm.
Carrying pets in the cabin is subject to the species, size, and weight of the animal to be carried, as well as the availability of space on the aircraft and the acceptance of entry into the country of destination. If the journey involves more than one airline, confirmation of transport from all the companies involved is required.
Maximum weight total (animal + container): 8kg / 17lb
Size of the space for the container: 40x33x17cm
Breed(s) and number of animals to be carried
All other kinds of animals are carried in the hold. Each passenger can bring one container with one or more animals of the same species, depending on availability.
Sizes and types of container (LxHxW)
Tell us the kind of container your pet will be in and its length, width, and height.
Only malleable containers are accepted in the cabin. If you have a rigid container, the animal has to travel in the hold.
The total weight to be carried (container + animal)
The combined weight of the animal and the container will decide whether your best friend can travel with you in the cabin or the hold.
If the total weight is no more than 8kg, it can be carried in the cabin. Animals + containers over that weight are carried in the hold.
The carriage of pets in the cabin must meet the following conditions to ensure the safety and welfare of passengers and animals:
- Only dogs and cats can be transported in the cabin.
- Each passenger may carry one flexible animal transport bag/carry case which may contain more than one animal of the same species.
- The cabin container has to:
- Be malleable.
- Have enough space for the animal(s) to move.
- Be waterproof (to retain the animal’s fluids).
- Be stored under the seat in front of you so as not to obstruct the passage in the cabin.
- The animal:
- Must be at least 10 weeks old.
- Must be fully inside the carrier throughout the flight (includes head and tail).
- May not occupy a seat or move in the cabin.
- If female, may not be pregnant.
Turkish Airlines Pet Policy
For pets traveling with you in the cabin, the weight of the animal and the crate must not exceed 8 kg. The crate can be a maximum of 23 cm (height) x 30 cm (width) x 40 cm (length). Please note that other than the plastic carriers, we can also carry your pets in specially produced hard- or soft-side bags (soft cases).
Pets sharing crates
In the cabin, two animals of the same species, that are used to being together, may be transported in the same crate. It is possible to carry two birds, two cats or two dogs familiar with each other in the same crate, provided that the maximum weight limit of 8 kg is not exceeded.
A maximum of three animals(cat/dog) that are 10 to 24 weeks old and born of the same mother may be carried in a single crate in the aircraft hold. Animals of the same species (each weighing maximum 14 kg, similarly sized and familiar with each other) may be transported in a single crate in the aircraft hold.
If each animal weighs more than 14 kg, each must have their own crate. A maximum of two adult animals of the same species (each weighing maximum 14 kg, similarly sized and familiar with each other) may be transported in a single crate in the aircraft hold. If each animal weighs more than 14 kg, it must have its own crate.
Need more tips for flying with dogs? Click here.
Pin for later!
As of 09 Dec 2022, United says that you cannot purchase a second ticket and pay a second pet free to bring an additional in-cabin pet.
thanks for the heads up!
On United, can you have two dogs – same species – in one bag if it weighs under 20 lbs?
I am thinking about adopting two dogs each 7lbs, bother sister and need to fly them home. United is my main airline.
United no longer allows 2 dogs to fly together. Give them a call, but they changed their policy a few months ago.