Boogie and Marcelo never say no to a treat. In fact, they have a hard time listening to commands unless they know a treat is coming their way. Snacks always cure their temporary deafness! Because they’re so addicted to snacks, it’s important that these little bribery treats be healthy. I want to make sure I’m stuffing their mouths with snacks that are not just delicious, but good for them.
These frozen treats are super easy to make, and you won’t feel guilty about giving them to your dog. Just three ingredients and a little wait time while they freeze and voila, you’ve got yourself some homemade treats that even you can nibble on.
These are great year-round, but especially in the summer, when the dogs need to cool down after a walk.
Here’s how to make delicious banana yogurt homemade dog treats.
Are these dog treats healthy?
Yes! These treats only contain plain yogurt, banana and coconut oil – all safe and healthy for dogs.
- Plain, low or non-fat yogurt provides probiotic benefits and is a great source of calcium. Avoid flavored yogurts that are full of sugar, and make sure your yogurt doesn’t contain xylitol, an artificial sweetener that is toxic for dogs.
- Bananas are a natural source of Vitamin B6 and Vitamin C, rich in potassium and low in sodium and cholesterol. They’re also high in fiber, and low in cholesterol.
- Coconut oil is full of healthy fatty acids. It improves dog’s skin and coat, evens out cholesterol levels and helps fight heart disease, among other things.
Plus, they’re grain free, with zero fillers or preservatives.
What are the benefits of making homemade dog treats?
There are loads of benefits to making your own dog treats.
- You know exactly what’s in them. There’s no need to break out the dictionary to uncover what crazy ingredients are in your dog’s treats. Homemade treats can be made with healthy stuff right in your pantry or fridge.
- You’ll save a buck. Store bought treats cost anywhere from $5 to $15. Homemade treats are cheaper to make!
- Zero guilt. These treats are so healthy you won’t feel guilty about giving them to your dog. Plus they’re so tasty that even you can sneak a bite!
- It’s fun! Making these is quick, easy and fun.
How long will these treats last?
These treats will last for months if they’re stored correctly in the freezer – although honestly, you’ll probably go through them pretty quickly since they’re yummy!
Once they’ve frozen solid, pop them out of the mold and place them in a Tupperware or ziplock bag. Keep them in the freezer so they don’t get soft.
Where did you get your dog molds?
We use silicone dog molds to make our frozen treats.
Silicone is easier to use than plastic, but either will work.
Let’s make them!
- 2 bananas
- 1/2 cup of yogurt
- 2 tbsp of coconut oil
- Cut the bananas into slices.
- Use a hand mixer or blender to mix the banana slices, yogurt and coconut oil together.
- Pour the mixture into the molds.
- Freeze until hard, about 2 hours.
- If you don't have a hand mixer, blender, or food processor, you can hand mix.
- Silicone molds can be floppy - lay them on a baking sheet before pouring in the mixture.
- Use low fat or fat-free plain yogurt - avoid artificial sweeteners and flavors.
- Feel free to add in other ingredients if you have them around the house! A dash of cinnamon, other fruits like blueberries or strawberries, or natural peanut butter.
Want to try other dog-friendly recipes? Check these out:
- DIY Frozen 3 Ingredient Dog Treats – with Video!
- Super Simple Pumpkin Spice Dog Treats
- DIY Meatloaf Dog Birthday Cake Recipe
Pin for later!