Having a good pet carrier is essential if you’re planning a trip with your dog. They’re useful, and oftentimes necessary, for plane rides. A good pet carrier for flying with your dog will last you years, and countless journeys, and become a safe space your pup will grown to love. We’ve tried and tested many bags, and found a few that we rely on over and over again. Here are some trustworthy pet carriers that will fit any budget.
This post contains affiliate links that help keep boogiethepug.com running. To learn more, visit our Disclosure & Disclaimer page.
Choosing a pet carrier
Choosing a pet carrier for plane rides is important because not only will they serve you in the sky, but you’ll be able to use them on train journeys, bus rides, and even trips to the vet.
It’s a multi-use item that every small dog should have.
Here are a few things to keep in mind when choosing the right pet carrier for your dog.
- Size: size matters. Airline all have size limits when it comes to carriers they allow on board. Be sure to pick a pet carrier that complies with most airlines, or at least that ones you use most.
- Quality: a good quality pet carrier will last you countless plane rides, and you won’t have to worry about replacing it for years to come.
- Material: all good pet carriers will feature mesh, for proper ventilation.
- Extra features: Is it easy to fold and store? Does it come with plush bedding? Are there zippered pockets? Useful extra features come in handy, especially for frequent travelers.
- Color: A black pet carrier for a white shedding dog? No thanks. A bright red carrier for a dog who doesn’t like attention? Not the best idea. There’s plenty to think about when selecting what color works best for you.
Sleepypod Air In-Cabin Pet Carrier
This Sleepypod Air pet carrier is the Rolls-Royce of dog bags.
It’s a mobile pet bed, in-cabin airplane carrier and car seat all-in-one that is both durable and chic.
It’s super flexible, fits under any airline seat, and folds flat for easy storage. It includes a padded shoulder strap, machine washable Ultra Plush bedding, and zippered pockets on both sides for storing treats, documents, and poop bags. It also comes with a trolley pocket for securing the carrier to your luggage.
Choose between six colors, including Robin Egg Blue (pictured above) and Glacier Silver.
We love this carrier, and while it is on the expensive side, it’s worth it for the quality and all of the extra features. It’ll serve you for countless journeys and in a myriad of situations.
Buy it HERE.
Sherpa Original Deluxe Pet Carrier
You can’t go wrong with the classic Sherpa Original.
It comes with a padded adjustable, no-slip carrying strap, a seat belt/luggage strap, and a machine-washable faux lambskin liner to keep your pup extra comfortable.
Plus, their patented spring wire frame allows the rear end of the carrier to conform to under-seat requirements.
The carrier includes one zippered pocket for holding your dog stuff. It’s available in three sizes, and a few different colors. 22 lb Boogie uses the large and fits comfortably.
Bonus: this one comes with wheels!
Buy it HERE.
AmazonBasics Soft-Sided Pet Travel Carrier
This pet carrier is sturdy, easy to clean, and it won’t break the bank. It’s the practical choice for anyone on a budget.
It comes with two connecting loop handles that can be used in conjunction with a seatbelt and/or luggage strap for secure transport, and an adjustable shoulder strap for hands-free carrying.
It has mesh ventilation on all sides, and a machine washable fleece pad so your pet can stay cozy. The dual zippered openings allow for pets to enter from the top or the side.
It’s design is similar in look to the Classic Sherpa bag, though it doesn’t have any zippered pockets.
Buy it HERE.
If you’re flying with your dog, click here for way more information!
Pin for later!